The office kitchen is a much-used and often-neglected area of the office.
Unfortunately, it is also a breeding ground for germs. Illness-causing bacteria, such as E. coli and salmonella, can be present in the kitchen and be transferred to hands and food.
Proper kitchen cleaning is essential to stop the spread of nasties that make people sick. Here are some ideas on how to keep your office kitchen clean and your workers healthy.
Create a kitchen cleaning roster
A great way to ensure your office is regularly cleaned is to create a roster and assign people to complete kitchen cleaning tasks every week.
Cleaning up spills
Clean up any kitchen spills immediately to avoid staining, keep other employees happy, and stop bacteria from spreading.
Wipe down surfaces
Wipe down surfaces after preparing lunch and before and after eating. This process can help prevent bacteria from getting into your food. You can use sanitising wipes or a cloth and a spray.
Cleaning the microwave
To avoid food building up and bad bacteria getting into your food, clean your microwave every week or month, depending on how often it is used.
Here’s an excellent method for cleaning microwaves:
- Microwave a bowl of water with fresh lemon juice (or rinds) for 3 – 5 minutes or until boiling.
- Wait 5 minutes before opening the door to allow the steam to condensate on the walls.
- Remove the bowl with the lemon and wipe down the microwave walls.
Or you can use a sponge with dish soap and water solution to clean the microwave.
Cleaning out the fridge
An office fridge is commonly a place where food goes to die. It is a good idea to clean the office fridge every week to keep it clean and tidy.
- First, remove all the food.
- Discard any food that has gone off, won’t be eaten, or has been sitting there for a while.
- Use a soft, clean kitchen sponge with warm soapy water to wipe down the surfaces in the fridge.
- Then clean any drawers in the sink with warm water and dish soap. For stubborn remnants, use baking soda and water paste and scrub the area with the sponge in a circular motion.
- Dry the refrigerator surfaces with a paper towel or cloth. When dry, place all the food back (wipe down any products that need cleaning first).
Taking out the rubbish
Your team should take out the rubbish immediately once it is full to avoid bad smells, unsavoury bugs or animal appearances, and germs.
Then once a week, you should also pop on gloves and thoroughly disinfect your bin to stop bacteria from spreading. If the bin is filthy, then clean it outside with a hose.
Vacuuming and mopping the floor
Dust down your kitchen first, and then vacuum it. Vacuuming should be done a few times a week or daily, depending on how dirty your kitchen gets.
You should also mop tile or vinyl floors weekly using two buckets, one with a water and detergent mixture and a rinsing mixture of clean water.
If you would rather not have to clean the often-disgusting office kitchen, then Cleantastic Commercial Cleaners can help. We provide thorough and professional cleaning services for businesses New Zealand-wide.
Spend office time working and not wiping down dried food splatter in the microwave. Call Cleantastic Commercial Cleaners today for a professional clean: 0800 800 055.